Saturday 1 February 2014

Green Lemonade recipe and how to juice without a juicer - Video


Now this was suppose to be part of my healthy January, to see all post Click Here, but there hasn't been good light to film in, so this is a day overdue.
Part of my getting healthy regime involves getting more vitamins through my diet and juicing is a great way to do that. Only problem is, I don't have a juicer anymore. When we moved into our current house, we just didn't have room for all the kitchen gadgets anymore, and one of the things that took up the most space was our juicer that we hadn't used for a few year, so I gave it away.
I am still not sad I did, as it was big and difficult to clean. 
But after a few visits to Whole foods, where I would get a juice every time, I realised how much better I would be feeling the rest of the day. Buying a juice at Whole foods is expensive in the long run, and I don't have one in walking distance of where I live, so if I wanted to have a daily juice, I had to think out of the box. I didn't want to buy another juicer, as they are expensive and I might just end up collecting dust again at one point like the other, so I thought about what we already had in our kitchen and came up with this method.

We have a Nutribullet, but any good blender will do for this. Then you just need a fine strainer and a jug, thats it!
You just add all the ingredients to the blender, with a little water and then blend until as smooth as you can get it. Then you just work it though the sieve with a spoon, easy peasy. And it is all things that are easy to clean and that most people have in their kitchen, so a great way to see if juicing is for you before investing in a big expensive juicer.
I won't say I will never get a juicer again, but for now, this works for me and the size of our kitchen.



Now for my favourite recipe that was inspired from my favourite juice at whole foods. It is rich in Vitamin C and iron from the spinach and kale and it taste divine, like a really refreshing lemonade.

Green lemonade. Makes about 2 glasses.

1 big handful of organic kale
1 big handful of organic spinach
2 sticks of organic celery
a small piece of ginger (optional) 
juice of 1-2 lemons
1-2 sweet organic apples or 100-200ml organic apple juice 
and about 200ml water.

The reason I use organic ingredients for most of the ingredients in this recipe, is that you are getting a very concentrated vitamin boost from this. So since the products I use organic here are all on the list of 15 vegetables and fruit you should eat organic, I have decided to use organic to get the healthiest juice possible.
I also normally use organic apple juice from a carton, just because I haven't been able to find organic apples that are sweet enough.

Enjoy.

Mia

X

2 comments:

  1. Love this little recipe so much. I have been making juice this way too because my cheap juicer is not the greatest. So happy I've found your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that lovely compliment Mel, really means the world to me.
      Mia
      xx

      Delete