Friday 22 November 2013

Homemade Weddingcake



My lactose free Wedding Cake, that tasted just like a giant Oreo. 

See HERE for my wedding day post.

Actually this cake is not only lactose free, but it is also egg free and can easily be made gluten free. 

I had actually though about ordering some festive vegan cupcakes, just because of time issues, but last minute I decided to make a wedding cake my self (don't know what I was thinking).
The cake it self is really easy to make, as no whisk is needed, just a bowl and a big spoon. And because it is egg free, the cake just seems to be more moist after a few day, so a good cake to make in advance.
It was my first time ever using fondant on a cake, and I didn't have time to practise, but I am actually quite happy with the result, since I had 20 minutes to do it in before picking up the family from the airport……talk about last minutes stress.

This is also a great without fondant, the picture below is actually a gluten free version I made for a friends birthday, where I just decorated it with grated dark chocolate on top of the frosting.





Note* I did 1 1/2 portion for my wedding cake, as I did a 3 layered cake, this recipe makes 2 layers.

Cake ingredients:
300g of plain white flour (or 300g gluten free all purpose flower + 1/4 tsp xanthan gum)
200g caster sugar (or 200ml sweet freedom or agave)
2 tsp baking powder (make sure it is gluten free if making a gluten free version)
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
75g pure cacao powder
200 ml unsweetened apple sauce (I use the one from the baby food section with no added sugar)
125 ml flavourless oil (like light olive oil, vegetable oil or groundnut oil)
1 tsp vanilla paste
100 ml strong coffee hot.

Icing ingredients:
100g lactose free butter
300g icing sugar
1/2 tbsp lactose free milk
1 tsp vanilla past.

Preheat oven to 165 

Line the bottom of two sandwich cake tins with baking paper.

For the cake
Mix together all the dry ingredients together in a bowl, and all the wet ingredients except the coffee in a measuring cup.
Then stir the wet ingredients gently into the dry, until you get a smooth consistency. Be careful not over stir, as it can make a tough cake.
Just before the cakes are ready to pour into to the tins, stir in the warm coffee. Then distribute the cake between the two tins.

Bake the cake for 20-25 minutes or until a knife comes out clean after being poked in the middle of the cake.

Transferre to a wire rack to cool.

When the cake has cooled off completely, it is time of make the icing.
Using an electric mixer, cream up the butter with the vanilla paste. Then slowly add the icing sugar 1/3 at the time, until all the sugar has been completly incorporated. Add the milk and whisk the icing for a few minutes until smooth and silky.

Ensemble by dividing the frosting in two, and sandwich the first portion between the two cakes. Then spread out the second portion of frosting on top. 
If covering in fondant, have a look on youtube to see how to, but then it requires two layers of icing on the outside of the cake, with some setting in the fridge in-between. 

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment